Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Remember Jim O'Brien from Philly? - Eastern US Weather Forums

Remember Jim O'Brien from Philly?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

I lived in Philadelphia for a couple of years back in the late 1970's and there was a T.V. meteorologist by the name of Jim O'Brien. He died tragically skydiving. He was one greatest T.V. weatherman that I've ever seen. He was funny, a great communicator, he had a great personality, and he LOVED snow and big storms. He also loved his job. Does anyone remember him?

#2 mcgin

broken but not broke

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, he was on action news-channel 6, right?

#3 ACY_Met

• Meteorologist
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

Sure do...I remember watching him as a kid...great personality...a shame his career was cut short.

#4 mcgin

broken but not broke

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

I don't recall the details, though. Did his parachute just not open?

#5 Dave

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

View Postmcgin, on Feb 18 2006, 08:39 PM, said:

I think that was what happened. If anyone knows the details, let us know.

#6 ACY_Met

• Meteorologist
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

Check out this page...has some info on what happened

Helps to post the link :-)

http://www.famous56.com/jim/index.htm

#7 Dave

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

View Postmcgin, on Feb 18 2006, 08:39 PM, said:

It was Action News.

#8 Gabz

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

I remember Jim O'Brien........I lived in Dover, Delaware and bounced between watching Philly and Salisbury, MD news and weather for years. He was a grat weatherman and his forecasts for northern DE were nearly always spot on.........but for central DE, he and the rest of the Philly wx guys were mostly unreliable, even though we were "technically" in that market.

As someone else said, I don't remember all the details, but it sure was a shame when he passed away.

#9 allman15

• Members
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

yes Jim O'brien was one of a kind...He had fun with the weather and never took himself seriously...He called the High Pressure systems 'good guys and the low systems 'bad guys' .....many people were shook up when he died...RIP JIMBO

#10 Dave

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

View PostACY_Met, on Feb 18 2006, 08:42 PM, said:

Check out this page...has some info on what happened

Helps to post the link :-)

I didn't realize that he tried to save someone else's life. That is so sad but it showed the type of person he really was. Thanks for sharing that link.

#11 RuggieWx

RuggieWx

• Members
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

View PostDave, on Feb 18 2006, 08:33 PM, said:

I lived in Philadelphia for a couple of years back in the late 1970's and there was a T.V. meteorologist by the name of Jim O'Brien. He died tragically skydiving. He was one greatest T.V. weatherman that I've ever seen. He was funny, a great communicator, he had a great personality, and he LOVED snow and big storms. He also loved his job. Does anyone remember him?

Yesssssssssss

I was 6 or 7 years old when I started my interest in weather and Jim O'Brien was a DJ on Radio 610 WFIL out of PHL, then went to Channel 6 Action News as Main weatherman, Since I was into the weather all my friends and classmates called me the next Jim O'Brien.

I also remember him calling Lows BAD GUYS and Highs GOOD GUYS :D

Did you guys know that Roz on Frazier is Jim O'Brien's Daughter !

http://www.broadcast...com/obrien.html

Jim Obrien tribute Page

#12 LocoAko

Proud member of the Northeast Liberal Elite.

• Members
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

Wow... very sad. Obviously I wasn't alive for that.

That reminds me of the Hudson County Skywarn Coordinator.. he died on 9/11 after running into one of the towers to rescue people. :(

Very sad indeed.

#13 CarlislePAWx

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

In 1982 I began a 4-year education in Optometry school at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry in Philadelphia. The campus was located near the northern end of Broad Street almost near Cheltenham. I was 23 and very much a weather weenie...although that term was decades away from coming into existence.

Jim O'Brien was a terrific weatherman, and like you all have said his on-air personality was full of life and humor. For me, I had only come to know him for a short period of time before the tragic accident occurred. But, the one moment I will never forget was the February, 1983 blizzard. Jim had been discussing the possibility for several days before the event. But, Thursday night, Feb 10, 1983 was a night I'll always remember. While in front of his very plain set, he grabbed a chair off to the side and sat down on it backwards with the back of the chair and himself facing the camera. Then he looked into the camera and said, "Folks, you simply aren't going to believe this. The models are saying that Philly is going to get burried under a foot or more of snow!" You could tell by his sheepish grin that he was exploding inside with anticipation, and just a part of it was making it out and on to the airwaves.

Well, the storm began in the Philly area around 8am Friday morning, and when it ended 6am Saturday morning 21" of snow had fallen...actually 21.3" at the airport officially breaking the old previous biggest snowstorm in Philly's history by 0.3".

Oh.....what a great storm, and fond memories thinking back about Jim O'Brien. I remember how utterly broken up his TV anchor colleagues were over his death. None of us could actually believe he was gone.

It's nice to recall those memories after over 22 years. We still miss 'ya Jimbo!!!

#14 mcgin

broken but not broke

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

View PostCarlislePAWx, on Feb 18 2006, 09:30 PM, said:

In 1982 I began a 4-year education in Optometry school at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry in Philadelphia. The campus was located near the northern end of Broad Street almost near Cheltenham. I was 23 and very much a weather weenie...although that term was decades away from coming into existence.

Jim O'Brien was a terrific weatherman, and like you all have said his on-air personality was full of life and humor. For me, I had only come to know him for a short period of time before the tragic accident occurred. But, the one moment I will never forget was the February, 1983 blizzard. Jim had been discussing the possibility for several days before the event. But, Thursday night, Feb 10, 1983 was a night I'll always remember. While in front of his very plain set, he grabbed a chair off to the side and sat down on it backwards with the back of the chair and himself facing the camera. Then he looked into the camera and said, "Folks, you simply aren't going to believe this. The models are saying that Philly is going to get burried under a foot or more of snow!" You could tell by his sheepish grin that he was exploding inside with anticipation, and just a part of it was making it out and on to the airwaves.

Well, the storm began in the Philly area around 8am Friday morning, and when it ended 6am Saturday morning 21" of snow had fallen...actually 21.3" at the airport officially breaking the old previous biggest snowstorm in Philly's history by 0.3".

Oh.....what a great storm, and fond memories thinking back about Jim O'Brien. I remember how utterly broken up his TV anchor colleagues were over his death. None of us could actually believe he was gone.

It's nice to recall those memories after over 22 years. We still miss 'ya Jimbo!!!

Great story, thanks.

#15 Ralph Wiggum

Bye witches...thanks for not eating me!

• Members
  • 8,887 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

View PostCarlislePAWx, on Feb 18 2006, 10:30 PM, said:

I was about 10 when he died, and Jim was my favorite part of the news. That was the first time in my life that I recall being 'shaken' also. He was truly a standard for most OCM's today.

~S~

#16 JCT777

Let's go Phillies!!

• Members
  • 14,760 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

I remember Jim O'Brien very well. He was absolutely my favorite weatherman on TV when I was a kid. CarlislePAWx - my fondest memory of him was the night before the 1983 blizzard. I distinctly remember at the end of the weather segment, Jim Gardner asking him how much snow he really thought we would get. And Jim O'Brien put his hand up above his waist and said "Oh, about as high as a tall dog". I remember thinking he was just joking until we got 22" of snow (10" more than forecast). It's as if he knew the forecast numbers were low.

#17 ChescoPaWxman

chescopawxman

• Members
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:03 PM

Amazing to hear how many of us were impacted by Jim O'Brien. He was also responsible for my interest in weather first as a potential career and then as a great hobby. He was the first weatherman I can remember on local TV along with Herb Clark at CBS Channel 10. Does anyone remember who the Channel 3 NBC weather guy was? I do remember Joe Witte came to channel 3 at some point in that timeframe. And who can forget Finkle's forecast on 610 wip?? Ah the memories!! I must be getting old!

Paul C

#18 Voyager

• Members
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:05 PM

Jim O' Brien was the first TV weather man I can remember and in a way helped forge my interest in weather. Who could forget the "good guys" and "bad guys" as Allman pointed out. Does anyone remember the way he would say Bullhead City or Casa Grande when they were the highest temperature in the nation?

He had a certain charm and humor that is hard to duplicate. Joe Snedicker in Scranton tries, but there will only ever be one Jim O' Brien.

#19 Ralph Wiggum

Bye witches...thanks for not eating me!

• Members
  • 8,887 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

Here is a short tribute to Jim O' Brien by Jim Gardner also from WPVI. Towards the end, there are some short clips of Jim O'Brien, one of which he does his famous whacky city pronunciations. Some of you will enjoy this:

Jim O'Brien Video Tribute

BTW, copy and paste the link. The host site wont allow a direct link, sorry.

~S~

#20 Voyager

• Members
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

View PostRalph Wiggum, on Feb 18 2006, 10:09 PM, said:

Here is a short tribute to Jim O' Brien by Jim Gardner also from WPVI. Towards the end, there are some short clips of Jim O'Brien, one of which he does his famous whacky city pronunciations. Some of you will enjoy this:

Jim O'Brien Video Tribute

~S~

Very nice video tribute, thank you for posting it! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users