Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Think Lake Effect Snow is only for Cleveland? - Eastern US Weather Forums

Think Lake Effect Snow is only for Cleveland?

4 replies to this topic

#1 CO 4X4

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

Temp is -15F this morning, here's a shot of a reservior about 3 miles east of my house. There's a mini- lake effect snow going on. Water vapor is condensing into a cloud about 1,500' above the water, and crystallizing right out as light snow.

Posted Image

#2 aslkahuna

aslkahuna

• Meteorologist
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

Ah, Pond Effect snow. When I was at Dugway on one very cold morning we picked up an inch of snow at the weather station from the steam plume from the heating plant. NWS didn't believe me when I called it in even though I explained what happened. Speaking of UT, they can get some decent LES from the GSL-I've been in it and unlike the Great Lakes the GSL doesn't ice over in the Winter except under very cold conditions.

Steve

#3 CTshoreWx

• Members
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

Is the lake frozen, I can't tell

#4 CO 4X4

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:02 PM

View PostCTshoreWx, on Feb 18 2006, 01:52 PM, said:

Is the lake frozen, I can't tell

Thin broken ice. It's been warm here until recently, so the open surface is at around 32F, of course.

#5 Lookout

Looking out for you

• Banned
  • 21,515 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:55 AM

View PostCO 4X4, on Feb 18 2006, 01:32 PM, said:

Temp is -15F this morning, here's a shot of a reservior about 3 miles east of my house. There's a mini- lake effect snow going on. Water vapor is condensing into a cloud about 1,500' above the water, and crystallizing right out as light snow.

Posted Image

i gotta say that is way cool. damn.. wish i could get that off my two ponds...lmao. on some of the coldest and calmest mornings when temps are in the single digits and low teens..ive seen something similiar to that..where it does lift up and form a loose cloud but not actually enough to fall back out as snow i dont think. although ive seen very heavy frost (hoar frost maybe?) on the down wind side. i have heard stories of "lake effect" snow falling off of Clarke Hill and lake hartwell here on the savannah river to the east of me which is a couple of miles across at its widest i believe but i never thought it was very credible. i would love to have have seen some photos on the bank of that lake you show to see what it looked like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users