Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Killington - opening getting later - Eastern US Weather Forums

Killington - opening getting later

81 replies to this topic

#1 LongRanger

Glaciers retreating for 1000s of years are gonna stop now for us

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

From 1986 to 2000, Killington opened their winter season in October. Since then they've done so only two years. Does this represent a change in temps/precip or management's efforts at an early open?

http://www.killingto...torical_weather

#2 Cpick79

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

View PostLongRanger, on 30 October 2010 - 09:56 PM, said:

From 1986 to 2000, Killington opened their winter season in October. Since then they've done so only two years. Does this represent a change in temps/precip or management's efforts at an early open?

http://www.killingto...torical_weather

new owners old owners were snow /ski lovers at heart.....new one's just are more traditional IMO. i mean it does come down to $$...but it i mean it can very $$ unsmart to open in october....then watch it all melt.

#3 ski MRG

• Members
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:32 AM

Has nothing to do with climate, when ASC bought Killington they broke the long standing tradition of trying to be the first in the east to open. Now I believe, Powder, a company based in Branson,MS owns it and have displayed a real lack of knowledge wrt how to operate a ski area. Doesn't really matter much, Killington is a mediocre area anyway. An intermediate skier's playground.

#4 skidooer

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

View Postski MRG, on 31 October 2010 - 04:32 AM, said:

Has nothing to do with climate, when ASC bought Killington they broke the long standing tradition of trying to be the first in the east to open. Now I believe, Powder, a company based in Branson,MS owns it and have displayed a real lack of knowledge wrt how to operate a ski area. Doesn't really matter much, Killington is a mediocre area anyway. An intermediate skier's playground.

As a 33 resident of the Killington area I have seen many changes the new management is definately not driven by the love of the sport rather financial efficiency.This is one of those years that the old management would have been opened in mid October just too costly for the new guys to justify . I disagree with your statement that Killington is an intermediate skiers playground ,it has lots of expert terrain and you know it.

#5 ski MRG

• Members
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

View Postskidooer, on 31 October 2010 - 07:28 AM, said:

As a 33 resident of the Killington area I have seen many changes the new management is definately not driven by the love of the sport rather financial efficiency.This is one of those years that the old management would have been opened in mid October just too costly for the new guys to justify . I disagree with your statement that Killington is an intermediate skiers playground ,it has lots of expert terrain and you know it.

The percentage of expert terrain is quite low while vast areas of the mountain(s) are simply blue and green. The best stuff has no snowmaking which is fine by me. Julio, Anarchy, Cascade, Downdraft, Devils Fiddle that's about it. It's a corporate Mountain without a soul. I'd much rather spend the day at MRG but that's obvious. Little Magic Mtn. is superior to Killington as far as I'm concerned.More steeper terrain, way cheaper (though I don't pay anywhere as I work as a ski reporter) and no crowds. I used to like Killington for the early season/late season skiing but those days are gone. Now when they open early they put down a ribbon of snow on Rime or some other flat, family trail.
It used to be they'd start building the Superstar Glacier as early as they could and they wouldn't stop until late in the season. I remeber skiing in May and having mosquitos attack if I stopped. Now it's just a K-mart.

#6 Allsnow

• Members
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Perhaps the financial situation out ways the love of the sport.......Your in business to make money....How One day of sking in October, to watch it all melt, classifies them as having a lack of knowledge is baffling to me. In my mind it sounds smart.....How many people are you really going to get for one day of skiing? To me you would not get enough to justify it. Sounds like they are working smarter, not harder.

#7 ski MRG

• Members
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

View PostAllsnow, on 31 October 2010 - 06:55 PM, said:

Perhaps the financial situation out ways the love of the sport.......Your in business to make money....How One day of sking in October, to watch it all melt, classifies them as having a lack of knowledge is baffling to me. In my mind it sounds smart.....How many people are you really going to get for one day of skiing? To me you would not get enough to justify it. Sounds like they are working smarter, not harder.

Well, with a summit elevation of 4k+ it isn't that hard to hold the snow. I know that might be hard to fathom from your vantage point down there but it doesn't just all melt. Also, why would you think it would just be one day. Once it's down the lifts spin everyday and everyday there are people showing up to ski. Also, one of the reasons Killington made an effort to be the first to open over the decades was the prestige and publicity it brought. I've worked as a ski reporter for 20yrs and I can tell you Killington has gone downhill. Pun intended. As for it baffling you that their operational knowledge should be called into question it doesn't surprise me as you don't seem to know much about the ski industry. BTW, Sunday River started making snow a few weeks back and have opened for skiing already. Smarter game plan.

#8 Allsnow

• Members
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

View Postski MRG, on 31 October 2010 - 08:07 PM, said:

Well, with a summit elevation of 4k+ it isn't that hard to hold the snow. I know that might be hard to fathom from your vantage point down there but it doesn't just all melt. Also, why would you think it would just be one day. Once it's down the lifts spin everyday and everyday there are people showing up to ski. Also, one of the reasons Killington made an effort to be the first to open over the decades was the prestige and publicity it brought. I've worked as a ski reporter for 20yrs and I can tell you Killington has gone downhill. Pun intended. As for it baffling you that their operational knowledge should be called into question it doesn't surprise me as you don't seem to know much about the ski industry. BTW, Sunday River started making snow a few weeks back and have opened for skiing already. Smarter game plan.

Every argument from you comes back to a hit about ones climate location. If you can sit with a straight face and tell me that every 31 days of October is great snow making and snow pack holding, you prob could sell ketchup Popsicles to a women in white gloves. We might have a storm going up through central PA at the end of the week......Which will help Killington hold mud puddles....The poster said only twice since 2000 have they open in October......I know your long nappy hair might blind you from the financial situation going on in this country, but perhaps the risk is not worth the small reward for killington. Either way they are going to make a killing this winter, strike while the iron is hot. Money is tight in many work places......putting the wheels in motion for one guy in chesterfield, is prob not that appealing to them.

#9 HubbDave

No matter where you go, there you are

• Members
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

How much for a regular Killington day pass nowadays? $75?

Just looked it up... holy cwap! $79 midweek, $84/$86 wknd/peak?!?! WTF!

#10 Allsnow

• Members
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

ASC was in so much bank debt no wonder they broke that tradition..

http://www.firsttrac...co-Ski-Resorts/

#11 itunis

• Members
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

View PostHubbDave, on 31 October 2010 - 08:35 PM, said:

How much for a regular Killington day pass nowadays? $75?

Just looked it up... holy cwap! $79 midweek, $84/$86 wknd/peak?!?! WTF!

And you can get a day pass at Vail, CO for 70 bucks. When you have to hop on a plane to get to decent skiing, Rockies all the way! I'll go back to the SE forum now :scooter:

#12 ski MRG

• Members
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

View PostAllsnow, on 31 October 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

Every argument from you comes back to a hit about ones climate location. If you can sit with a straight face and tell me that every 31 days of October is great snow making and snow pack holding, you prob could sell ketchup Popsicles to a women in white gloves. We might have a storm going up through central PA at the end of the week......Which will help Killington hold mud puddles....The poster said only twice since 2000 have they open in October......I know your long nappy hair might blind you from the financial situation going on in this country, but perhaps the risk is not worth the small reward for killington. Either way they are going to make a killing this winter, strike while the iron is hot. Money is tight in many work places......putting the wheels in motion for one guy in chesterfield, is prob not that appealing to them.

You know little of what you speak on this subject. I've worked as a professional skier in one capacity or another for 30+yrs. The mere fact that you think there is only one guy chomping at the bit to ski underscores your lack of insight on the matter. Also, as far as the 'financial situation going on in this country" I'm a business owner, so please don't be so presumptuous as to tell me what's going on. Furthermore, why don't you post a picture of yourself so I can comment on your attributes or lack thereof.

#13 Allsnow

• Members
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

View Postskidooer, on 31 October 2010 - 07:28 AM, said:

View Postski MRG, on 31 October 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

You know little of what you speak on this subject. I've worked as a professional skier in one capacity or another for 30+yrs. The mere fact that you think there is only one guy chomping at the bit to ski underscores your lack of insight on the matter. Also, as far as the 'financial situation going on in this country" I'm a business owner, so please don't be so presumptuous as to tell me what's going on. Furthermore, why don't you post a picture of yourself so I can comment on your attributes or lack thereof.

I think i Know alot about this subject, Any owner of a business is in the business of makin money. My crack about one guy wanting to ski was a sarcastic remark to represent how there might be a more of a want to ski in december for most people. Again you have added little to this disscussion,just saying how i know little about the subject, but it seems like i brought everything to the tabel.

#14 CapeCodWeather.Net

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostAllsnow, on 31 October 2010 - 09:34 PM, said:

I think i Know alot about this subject, Any owner of a business is in the business of makin money. My crack about one guy wanting to ski was a sarcastic remark to represent how there might be a more of a want to ski in december for most people. Again you have added little to this disscussion,just saying how i know little about the subject, but it seems like i brought everything to the tabel.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :weenie:

talking to MRG about skiing and a lack of knowledge of the subject is like telling Will (ORHwxman) he doesn't know anything about KUs.

#15 Dryslot

Put a little captain in ya

• Members
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

View PostCapeCodWeather.Net, on 31 October 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

talking to MRG about skiing and a lack of knowledge of the subject is like telling Will (ORHwxman) he doesn't know anything about KUs.

Violently agree.......

#16 Allsnow

• Members
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Yes he is really showing his knowledge by makin cracks about my climate location....and killington is breaking tradition by not opening during october......financial situation has nothing to do with it. Clearly he should buy a ski resort.....Its not like 2 other posters said it has to do with money

#17 BIrving

Music is life.

• Members
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

You are correct on all counts here,  most importantly trying to be first and last to be open.     I'll take Cannon or Wildcat any day over Killington, personally.      

#18 ski MRG

• Members
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

LOL.

View PostDryslot, on 31 October 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

Violently agree.......

Maybe we should call him ALLWRONG.

View PostBIrving, on 01 November 2010 - 12:18 AM, said:

You are correct on all counts here,  most importantly trying to be first and last to be open.     I'll take Cannon or Wildcat any day over Killington, personally.      

Wildcat is awesome, had great late season day there last yyear.

#19 ETauntonMA

On the rebound cancer boy!

• Members
  • 32,257 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

Gotta argee with MRG on this one. Killington is not what it once was. Neither are any of the major resorts in the NE.

#20 NorEaster27

Trochoidal Wobbles

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

Ski Gore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users