Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
GR Earth - Eastern US Weather Forums

Jump to content


GR Earth


48 replies to this topic

#1 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

GR Earth will be released soon.

Here are some videos of the software in action - Mike Gibson has done an outstanding job (several years of work) in putting this program together. It is similar to GEMPAK - with its interactive zoom and unzoom (one of the reasons I like GEMPAK). The software will have some analysis features for severe weather that Mike has been working on for some time - along with his winter precip type algorithm (which is already sought after by some NWS offices - other).

He has added a lot of features over the last few months - the list is virtually endless. Expected release date - a few more days.

Here are some screen capture videos of high risk days from this past spring (the pull out images of the Planet Earth with little dots - those are METAR stations)

Videos - posted with Mike's permission

http://beaudodson.co...19th_during.wmv

http://beaudodson.co...2010_severe.wmv

http://beaudodson.co...9th_during1.wmv

http://beaudodson.co...0_highrisk2.wmv

http://beaudodson.co...k_may192010.wmv

Probably slow loads - but best resolution was uploading them like that.

Some screen shots
http://www.stormrepo...org/grearth.htm



Should be a nice software package for those interested. There will be a monthly subscription for the service - I believe the software will be free with a one year subscription. :) :snowman:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Met Tech

  • Professional Forecaster
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Very cool! Can't wait to get ahold of that.

#3 Kmlwx

    Grant Imahara of the East

  • Members
  • 6,858 posts
  • Location:Silver Spring, MD

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

WOW! Looks like it's going to be awesome. Yet another amazing product from Mike Gibson!!! :weight_lift:

#4 Mad Cheese

    The weenie store called, they're running out of you

  • Members
  • 12,154 posts
  • Location:Frederick, MD

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

How much will it cost?

#5 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

From what Mike has said - not set in stone - but the program will be free with a one year subscription. He is tossing around a couple of ideas on monthly cost. So, I won't comment on that until he decides. It is great for situational awareness.

#6 turtlehurricane

  • Members
  • 22,806 posts
  • Location:Madison, WI

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Very cool stuff. Looks like AWIPS.

#7 CapeCodWeather.Net

  • Members
  • 11,764 posts
  • Location:Cape Cod

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

View PostBeauDodson, on 18 August 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

From what Mike has said - not set in stone - but the program will be free with a one year subscription. He is tossing around a couple of ideas on monthly cost. So, I won't comment on that until he decides. It is great for situational awareness.

Beau - thanks for posting...do you happen to know if Mike will be allowing trial runs like he does with the other GR products?

#8 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

My understanding is that he will not. But, nothing is set in stone. However, since the software is free and you can probably unsubscribe at any point - basically same difference.

#9 weatherspmd

    Millersville University Meteorology 14'

  • Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • Location:Millersville,PA / Severna Park,MD

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Looks really cool... If I had the money (at least with the #'s he's tossing around), I'd buy it in a flash.

#10 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

Sounds like it will be yearly subscriptions because it is too much hassle to do month by month. So, it sounds like a one year subscription. The program is free, but without the data the program won't do anything. There has been discussion on doing month by month subscriptions, but others have found that to be a big pain.

#11 WX4caster88

    My Paloma!

  • Members
  • 8,213 posts
  • Location:Asheville, NC (UNCA)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

View PostBeauDodson, on 19 August 2010 - 12:58 AM, said:

Sounds like it will be yearly subscriptions because it is too much hassle to do month by month. So, it sounds like a one year subscription. The program is free, but without the data the program won't do anything. There has been discussion on doing month by month subscriptions, but others have found that to be a big pain.


Could you give an estimate of how much it might be per year? I would be interested in picking up this produce in lieu of getting other GRlevel products that only cover radar.

#12 gkrangers

    lets go rangers

  • Members
  • 13,742 posts
  • Location:Holmdel, NJ

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

View PostWX4caster88, on 19 August 2010 - 01:02 AM, said:

Could you give an estimate of how much it might be per year? I would be interested in picking up this produce in lieu of getting other GRlevel products that only cover radar.

I'm guessing somewhere between "a lot" and "A LOT". But, likely worth it, especially for professionals. Looks like great software.

#13 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

The program is free - the monthly fee is more than WeatherTap but will be less than Wright-weather. Mike has not decided - quite yet. But that gives you an idea.

#14 gkrangers

    lets go rangers

  • Members
  • 13,742 posts
  • Location:Holmdel, NJ

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

View PostBeauDodson, on 19 August 2010 - 09:46 AM, said:

The program is free - the monthly fee is more than WeatherTap but will be less than Wright-weather. Mike has not decided - quite yet. But that gives you an idea.

$8 to $129 is quite the range. Does the software/subscription include the same functionality as the current radar products?

#15 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

Sorry, I didn't understand? Wright-Weather isn't $129 a month. ?

It will not be like your GR radar programs - exactly. It has a lot more features as far as synopsis, severe weather parameters, satellite, and other. There will be radar features but not like GR AE. Two different programs. However, one could use this as their radar program. It also functions with GR radar programs - you can click on a location and it will bring up your GR Radar program for you.

Mike is working on a guide book at this time. Should be finished soon.

#16 CapeCodWeather.Net

  • Members
  • 11,764 posts
  • Location:Cape Cod

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

View PostBeauDodson, on 19 August 2010 - 10:08 AM, said:

Sorry, I didn't understand? Wright-Weather isn't $129 a month. ?

It will not be like your GR radar programs - exactly. It has a lot more features as far as synopsis, severe weather parameters, satellite, and other. There will be radar features but not like GR AE. Two different programs. However, one could use this as their radar program. It also functions with GR radar programs - you can click on a location and it will bring up your GR Radar program for you.

Mike is working on a guide book at this time. Should be finished soon.

it looks great. i read over some of the posts on his forum...sounds exciting. the videos you posted look good.

a little concerned about the memory usage...but whatever, shouldn't be too draining.

#17 gkrangers

    lets go rangers

  • Members
  • 13,742 posts
  • Location:Holmdel, NJ

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

View PostBeauDodson, on 19 August 2010 - 10:08 AM, said:

Sorry, I didn't understand? Wright-Weather isn't $129 a month. ?

It will not be like your GR radar programs - exactly. It has a lot more features as far as synopsis, severe weather parameters, satellite, and other. There will be radar features but not like GR AE. Two different programs. However, one could use this as their radar program. It also functions with GR radar programs - you can click on a location and it will bring up your GR Radar program for you.

Mike is working on a guide book at this time. Should be finished soon.

What does Wright-Weather cost? I was looking at the commercial product, I guess there must be other cheaper ones.

#18 BeauDodson

  • Meteorologist
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

I believe Wright has a $20 something package. Not 100% sure. Yes - their commercial is a lot more expensive.

#19 AtticaFanatica

  • Meteorologist
  • 4,063 posts
  • Location:Norman, OK

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Yes please.

#20 msp

    make it so

  • Members
  • 13,677 posts
  • Location:College Station, TX

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

looks incredible. it's going to come down to the price, though, for me.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users