Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
B.A.S.T.A.R.D. iCyclone Mobile Hurricane Data Collection System - Eastern US Weather Forums

B.A.S.T.A.R.D. iCyclone Mobile Hurricane Data Collection System

102 replies to this topic

#1 Met Tech

• Professional Forecaster
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

For those who don't know about it, I created a device for holding a Kestrel Weather Tracker so Josh and his chase partner can collect data during a hurricane, known as the Best Automated System To Acquire and Report Data, or BASTARD. It's made of a wooden base with 4 neodymium magnets bolted to it. Each magnet has 150 lb of pull force. A metal pipe screws into the base, which then screws into a connector I made and that attaches to the Kestrel wind vane.

For its maiden "flight", a coworker and I went to a remote stretch of road, attached it to the roof of my car, and made a series of ever-increasing runs to test its strength, topping out with a Kestrel-recorded speed of 106.1 mph (102 on my speedometer) with no damage. A roof-mounted camera caught the final high speed stretch:

My car did jump off the road when I hit a series of rolls in the pavement--that was close. :lol:

Attached File  photo.jpg (164.87K)
Number of downloads: 3

Attached File  photo (1).jpg (145.71K)
Number of downloads: 5

Attached File  bastardwind.png (88.66K)
Number of downloads: 4

Attached File  bastardtext.png (21.33K)
Number of downloads: 3

#2 HurricaneJosh

Unapologetic Tight Core Snob

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#3 srainhoutx

• Members
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

Congrats Cory! Josh will be in business... :scooter:

#4 HurricaneJosh

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

That is seriously too cool. Wow-- I love this! :thumbsup:

I am frankly amazed that it stayed on-- I didn't realize magnets of that size could be so firm. And I am also very excited at how mall and simple the device is. Wow-- it looks super-portable and simply to assemble, like you said.

On a side note, I am also frankly surprised that the Kestrel withstood winds over 90 kt. I'm skeptical that it could survive a solid Cat 2 or 3 eyewall-- when the duration of high winds would be greater-- but this is an encouraging sign.

Very, very cool, Cory. I am so excited after all these years of chasing to finally collect some continuous wind data. The thing holding me back had always been portable installation-- how to achieve that with something that's easy to travel with-- and it seems like you've solved the issue. I'm pretty damn impressed with your ingenuity, dude. :)

When I receive the package, I will test it here in L.A. Can't wait. :pepsi:

#5 Met Tech

• 11,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

View PostHurricaneJosh, on 20 July 2010 - 02:32 PM, said:

I am frankly amazed that it stayed on-- I didn't realize magnets of that size could be so firm. And I am also very excited at how mall and simple the device is. Wow-- it looks super-portable and simply to assemble, like you said.

On a side note, I am also frankly surprised that the Kestrel withstood winds over 90 kt. I'ms skeptical that it could survive a solid Cat 2 or 3 eyewall-- when the duration of high winds would be greater-- but this is an encouraging sign.

Very, very cool, Cory. I am so excited after all these years of chasing to finally collect some continuous wind data. The thing holding me back had always been portable installation-- how to achieve that with something that's easy to travel with-- and it seems like you've solved the issue. I'm pretty damn impressed with your ingenuity, dude. :)

When I receive the package, I will test it here in L.A.

:wub: :thumbsup:

I was very surprised too. When I did the 80 mph then the 100 mph, I was cringing as I waited for something to go terribly wrong. It was so exciting to have it not budge an inch at those high speeds.

#6 HurricaneJosh

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

View PostMet Tech, on 20 July 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

:wub: :thumbsup:

I was very surprised too. When I did the 80 mph then the 100 mph, I was cringing as I waited for something to go terribly wrong. It was so exciting to have it not budge an inch at those high speeds.

So it stayed totally fixed to the same spot? Wow.

By the way, dumb question: how does it come off? :lol:

#7 Met Tech

• 11,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Okay, my coworker is sending some vids from his vantage point...here was the part of getting it ready so you can see how easy it is. I totally look baked in that thumbnail.

#8 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

That's sick. I want one.

#9 uofmiami

Let's go Canes!

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Pretty badass, nice invention Met Tech!!

#10 JamieO

• Members
  • 40,849 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

View PostMet Tech, on 20 July 2010 - 02:36 PM, said:

Okay, my coworker is sending some vids from his vantage point...here was the part of getting it ready so you can see how easy it is. I totally look baked in that thumbnail.

lmao....you do.

This is freaking cool, Cory.

#11 HurricaneJosh

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

View PostMet Tech, on 20 July 2010 - 02:36 PM, said:

:thumbsup:

It's like an instructional video-- kind of helpful, actually.

P.S. You seem like a cool professor dude in that video. :sunglasses:

#12 Storm-Surge

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

That is so cool. Nice work!!

#13 Strat747

'Madagascar, I mean Belize or bust!'

• Members
  • 8,088 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Good bull Cory!

I no longer have to be the sacrificial lamb.

#14 Strat747

'Madagascar, I mean Belize or bust!'

• Members
  • 8,088 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Only negative is that it probably means Josh will need additional luggage.

Between the B.A.S.T.A.R.D and the Kestrel (which will of course require its own bag) we should be nearing ten pieces.

#15 Met Tech

• 11,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

View PostStrat747, on 20 July 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

Between the B.A.S.T.A.R.D and the Kestrel (which will of course require its own bag) we should be nearing ten pieces.

:lol: Yeah this will fit in something like a laptop bag or something similar. I made it to be compact and portable, so it's another piece but shouldn't be too bad to haul around. And yeah, you can keep your arms safely in the car now. ;)

#16 HurricaneJosh

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

View PostStrat747, on 20 July 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

Omg. Keep it up, dude. Just keep it up. :lmao:

#17 HurricaneJosh

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

View PostMet Tech, on 20 July 2010 - 02:52 PM, said:

:lol: Yeah this will fit in something like a laptop bag or something similar. I made it to be compact and portable, so it's another piece but shouldn't be too bad to haul around. And yeah, you can keep your arms safely in the car now. ;)

I'm going to go out and buy a sexy little canvas bag for it. :wub:

#18 bobbutts

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

View PostHurricaneJosh, on 20 July 2010 - 02:32 PM, said:

On a side note, I am also frankly surprised that the Kestrel withstood winds over 90 kt. I'm skeptical that it could survive a solid Cat 2 or 3 eyewall-- when the duration of high winds would be greater-- but this is an encouraging sign.

When I receive the package, I will test it here in L.A. Can't wait. :pepsi:

Pizza drivers use magnets to hold the sign on top of the car and exceed 100mph regularly :whistle: :scooter:
donno if they are the same magnets, but quite secure

#19 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Careful not to touch the magnets to any of your electronics btw Josh :lol:

#20 HurricaneJosh

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

View Postbobbutts, on 20 July 2010 - 02:56 PM, said:

Pizza drivers use magnets to hold the sign on top of the car and exceed 100mph regularly :whistle: :scooter:
donno if they are the same magnets, but quite secure

Ah, I didn't know that those things were attached with magnets. Good to know.

View Postturtlehurricane, on 20 July 2010 - 02:57 PM, said:

Careful not to touch the magnets to any of your electronics btw Josh :lol:

Oh, good reminder. Cory, how far should electronics be kept from the magnets?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users