Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
why aren't more of you coming to the conference? - Eastern US Weather Forums - Page 3

why aren't more of you coming to the conference?

56 replies to this topic

#41 GO-nad

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

I had signed up, but when i heard the presentations would be broken down into sub-conferences by region I asked for my money back.

#42 famartin

Lost in the desert

• Banned
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

View PostGO-nad, on 21 May 2010 - 05:51 PM, said:

I had signed up, but when i heard the presentations would be broken down into sub-conferences by region I asked for my money back.

+1

#43 Isotherm

• Members
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

View PostGO-nad, on 21 May 2010 - 05:51 PM, said:

:thumbsup:

#44 danstorm

• Meteorologist
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

View Postforkyfork, on 18 May 2010 - 05:31 PM, said:

it's not far away and it's only a weekend

Anyone who is thinking about going should just go.

I haven't been since 07, but went for the first time in '06 as a newbie who knew nobody... and with a decent amount of trepidation (not over gay issues, lol)- but it was a wonderful experience. People were welcoming and down to earth and most conversations gravitated to weather anyway.

And, if you're concerned about anything homosexual related, don't be. I'm a straight guy and it's really no big deal to any of the attendees, gay or straight.

#45 greg ralls

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

I have a pretty good excuse. My college graduation was scheduled for Saturday, December 19th, and I think we all know what happened that day. They rescheduled it for June 12th. Oh well, I'm 41, so I guess another 6 months delay wasn't a big deal to me since I'm already 20 years behind many of my high school classmates.

#46 AmyB

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

View Postnnjwxguy78, on 20 May 2010 - 02:15 PM, said:

I find it offensive, but i'm a big fan of giving everyone the chance to say what they want on these boards. I have a right to ignore what they say, and they have a right to say what they say. And I hate to admit that part of me finds it all so entertaining... =)

To 4Dvar's point... i am just not sure that i would pay money to spend a weekend with a lot of bigoted individuals. But then again, there are lots of awesome people on here as well.

I went to the conference last year, and I found not one bigoted individual..

View PostAllsnow, on 20 May 2010 - 05:04 PM, said:

i agree 100%.....im a straight man....but really dont want to read "ray will have wennies in his fanny...from all the snow" perhpas the subforum will help hide some of this behavior

And there was no "weenie in the fanny" talk either..

I think a lot of the misconceptions in this thread come from people's board personalities..
And I'm sorry to see that the good lot of people in this thread feel the way they do about those of us attending the conference. It is not as you imagine or expect it to be, and it's great to be able to have that real-life weather talk with the people on the board that you interact with on a somewhat daily basis..

#47 weatherwiz

Ready for my horrible winter :(

• Members
  • 30,774 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

The truth of it all is people will just find ANY excuse not to go b/c either they just don't have the balls to say they just flat out aren't interested or are too scared to attend :rolleyes:

#48 famartin

Lost in the desert

• Banned
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

View Postweatherwiz, on 24 May 2010 - 11:46 PM, said:

The truth of it all is people will just find ANY excuse not to go b/c either they just don't have the balls to say [they just flat out aren't interested or are too scared to attend :rolleyes:

Hey, I think I said that ;)

#49 weatherwiz

Ready for my horrible winter :(

• Members
  • 30,774 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

View Postfamartin, on 24 May 2010 - 11:53 PM, said:

Hey, I think I said that ;)

:D

That wasn't directed towards you.

It's understandable that people may have things to do, or already have plans, money may be tight, or just don't want to go but really any other excuse is just pathetic. But even with the money thing, they offer scholarships which is a big help.

#50 LocoAko

Proud member of the Northeast Liberal Elite.

• Members
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

View Postgreg ralls, on 22 May 2010 - 07:33 PM, said:

I have a pretty good excuse. My college graduation was scheduled for Saturday, December 19th, and I think we all know what happened that day. They rescheduled it for June 12th. Oh well, I'm 41, so I guess another 6 months delay wasn't a big deal to me since I'm already 20 years behind many of my high school classmates.

Congrats!

#51 greg ralls

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

View PostLocoAko, on 25 May 2010 - 12:24 AM, said:

Congrats!

Thanks! Since my first attempt at walking with my graduating class was thwarted by the massive December 19th snowstorm, I'm kind of expecting a PDS Tornado Watch to be issued for Reading, Pennsylvania on June 12th.

#52 nnjwxguy78

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

I may have been misguided by the use of the word 'fag' on this board more than once.

And i didn't say everyone at the conference would be the same... I just answered the question with my honest feedback. I think most people on this board are awesome people. If i didn't love you all I wouldn't spend so many winter days just reading your thoughts =)

View PostAmyB, on 24 May 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

I went to the conference last year, and I found not one bigoted individual..

And there was no "weenie in the fanny" talk either..

I think a lot of the misconceptions in this thread come from people's board personalities..
And I'm sorry to see that the good lot of people in this thread feel the way they do about those of us attending the conference. It is not as you imagine or expect it to be, and it's great to be able to have that real-life weather talk with the people on the board that you interact with on a somewhat daily basis..

#53 AmyB

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

View Postnnjwxguy78, on 25 May 2010 - 12:04 PM, said:

I may have been misguided by the use of the word 'fag' on this board more than once.

And i didn't say everyone at the conference would be the same... I just answered the question with my honest feedback. I think most people on this board are awesome people. If i didn't love you all I wouldn't spend so many winter days just reading your thoughts =)

I understand, and it's nice to have an honest answer..
It's alright if people just don't want to go, for whatever reason.. I'm just hoping that those who say they wouldn't fit in, don't like to party, etc. didn't get the wrong impression. It's not like a frat party or anything.

And I do love reading about everyone's winters, storm experiences and things also! Hell of a group of people collected here for the most part :)

#54 AmyB

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

View Postgreg ralls, on 25 May 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

Thanks! Since my first attempt at walking with my graduating class was thwarted by the massive December 19th snowstorm, I'm kind of expecting a PDS Tornado Watch to be issued for Reading, Pennsylvania on June 12th.

And congrats on your graduation!

#55 greg ralls

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

View PostAmyB, on 25 May 2010 - 01:46 PM, said:

And congrats on your graduation!

Thanks, AmyB!

#56 Turtle

• Meteorologist
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

View Posttornadojay, on 21 May 2010 - 01:16 PM, said:

You guys should all consider going to the 3rd Tri-State weather conference in Danbury. I've been to the first two. Well worth it.. and only takes up one day.. albeit a Saturday. I don't think registration was too expensive. Maybe 30 bucks or so. There's a link on Upton's website, in the top news of the day section. I'm tentativly planning on going again. Too bad I really don't know anybody, but I just start mingling with the crowd.

Let me know if any of you are planning on going.

Hello!

I don't usually frequent this subforum, but wanted to look around to see if anybody was talking about the Tri-State Conference. Glad to see that you did.

I presented at the last one, and may be going again in October. I posted the main link on the general weather side of the boards so everyone (well, those that look there) can see it. The deadline for abstract submissions is June 30.

Maybe I'll see you there! Oh, the link is: http://www.wcsu.edu/weatherconference/

--Turtle ;)

#57 Quakertown needs snow

Quakertown waiting for snow

• Members
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

My son graduates Kindergarten on Friday then driving to Danville to pickup his cousin who will stay for a week. Saturday my son has a ball game and then heading to a party. Another busy weekend as it always seems this time of year. If I was single and kid less I'd probably hit it and meet some of the freaks on this board. Oh well... maybe some day.... :snowman:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users