Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Will it ever snow in Orlando, FL? - Eastern US Weather Forums

Will it ever snow in Orlando, FL?

23 replies to this topic

#1 bic

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:19 AM

Ok, so that was a rhetorical question because I know it will, I just don't know when. I believe the last time it snowed in Orlando was in 1989, right before my folks and I moved there in March 1990. Since then, there hasn't been so much as a trace of snow. It's been 20 years so I feel like it's overdue but I don't know what the climatology is like. Can anyone chime in and tell me what the average period between snow events is?

I live in Miami now but if there was ever a serious threat of snow in Central Florida I'd love to head up there and try to catch it.

#2 Fozz

• Members
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Perhaps it will if we get January 1977 type cold.

#3 Fozz

• Members
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

Here are the words of a well-respected met on this board.

View PostRaleighWX, on 29 December 2009 - 06:05 PM, said:

Florida has a better chance of seeing snow the next 7-10 days then I do.

#4 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

View Postbic, on 30 December 2009 - 01:19 AM, said:

Ok, so that was a rhetorical question because I know it will, I just don't know when. I believe the last time it snowed in Orlando was in 1989, right before my folks and I moved there in March 1990. Since then, there hasn't been so much as a trace of snow. It's been 20 years so I feel like it's overdue but I don't know what the climatology is like. Can anyone chime in and tell me what the average period between snow events is?

I live in Miami now but if there was ever a serious threat of snow in Central Florida I'd love to head up there and try to catch it.

I think the best answer would be it's possible any given year.

There have been so few snow events in Florida that they can't be correlated with any statistical significance to indices like ENSO, and the average period between events really doesn't say much. You just need cold air and precipitation. Last year there was snow well south of Orlando, down to near port St. Lucie if memory serves me right. The cold air flowing over the warm ocean managed to create some flurries.

Orlando would need a more synoptic scale event to see snow, and just missed the event in 2006 (in November!) when a cutoff low managed to have some snow flurries near its center. It actually passed south of Orlando by just a bit.

So, keep waiting. It'll happen one day :)

Heck, even Miami should see some flurries in our lifetimes.

#5 NZucker

• Members
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:22 AM

View Postturtlehurricane, on 30 December 2009 - 02:21 AM, said:

There have been so few snow events in Florida that they can't be correlated with any statistical significance to indices like ENSO, and the average period between events really doesn't say much. You just need cold air and precipitation. Last year there was snow well south of Orlando, down to near port St. Lucie if memory serves me right. The cold air flowing over the warm ocean managed to create some flurries.

Orlando would need a more synoptic scale event to see snow, and just missed the event in 2006 (in November!) when a cutoff low managed to have some snow flurries near its center. It actually passed south of Orlando by just a bit.

Didn't Miami see flurries in 1/77?

#6 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:31 AM

View PostNZucker, on 30 December 2009 - 02:22 AM, said:

Didn't Miami see flurries in 1/77?

Yup, I wasn't born yet though ;)

#7 bubbler86

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  • Location:Belleview, FL and Carlisle PA. (Belleview most of the time)

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

View Postbic, on 30 December 2009 - 01:19 AM, said:

It snowed in Orlando (in several places in and around the city) in 2006. No accumulation this time but I saw it myself and it looked like a snow storm for about 3 min. :-). It has snowed in Central Fl 3 of the last 5 years at one time or another. In 2005 in snowed in Ocala in November.

http://www.clickorla...709/detail.html

#8 ncweather

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

Wow I cant believe this is a thread. Yes it does flurry some of the time. But waiting and wondering if it will is wacko. You have a better chance of walking out your house and getting hit by a car. Sometimes if the fitch is right with the cold air OES flurries happen. My dad was living in Apopka NW of Orlando in the 77 storm. Not sure on the amounts but he said there was enough snow that fell to last till the next day.

Also to say 20 yrs and climo is due ?!? WTF climo is due for me to hit the jackpot, but still hasn't happen. If you want to see snow move north. Thats the only sure shot way to get it.

#9 bubbler86

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

View Postncweather, on 30 December 2009 - 08:27 AM, said:

Wow I cant believe this is a thread. Yes it does flurry some of the time. But waiting and wondering if it will is wacko. You have a better chance of walking out your house and getting hit by a car. Sometimes if the fitch is right with the cold air OES flurries happen. My dad was living in Apopka NW of Orlando in the 77 storm. Not sure on the amounts but he said there was enough snow that fell to last till the next day.

Also to say 20 yrs and climo is due ?!? WTF climo is due for me to hit the jackpot, but still hasn't happen. If you want to see snow move north. Thats the only sure shot way to get it.

There are several reports of 6" amounts around Orlando in the 77 storm...I cannot verify that beyond simply reading web page reports. Seems like a lot and doubt it accumulated as such on hard surfaces.

#10 DavidK

I call it as I see it

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Location:Orlando FL, but still have a heart for Whitehall PA

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Amazingly it has snowed in Orlando/Central Florida area before. The Sentinel did a piece in the last year where they included photos of a snow event (77 IIRC) and there was enough snow on cars to make snowballs. Also November of 2006 produced some very light snow in sections of town. Mostly north and east portions and up through Volusia county.

There has also been some Ocean Effect events along the coast specifically in 03 and 08. These were more like snow grains, however it was still snow nonetheless.

Clearly history shows us it can happen however it takes a lot for just even flurries to occur. Accumulating snow would take an epic setup and a lot of luck.

#11 DavidK

I call it as I see it

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Location:Orlando FL, but still have a heart for Whitehall PA

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

View Postbubbler86, on 30 December 2009 - 08:36 AM, said:

There are several reports of 6" amounts around Orlando in the 77 storm...I cannot verify that beyond simply reading web page reports. Seems like a lot and doubt it accumulated as such on hard surfaces.

Whoever wrote the Wiki page about Florida snow events has exaggerated in some areas. Specifically the 89 snowfall and the claim that snow lasted in Orlando for one week. That is laughable. My research has also found that the reports of 6" in the Orlando area are also false.

Wikipedia Snow Events in Florida

#12 donsutherland1

• Members
  • 11,115 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

View PostDavidK, on 30 December 2009 - 09:47 AM, said:

Whoever wrote the Wiki page about Florida snow events has exaggerated in some areas. Specifically the 89 snowfall and the claim that snow lasted in Orlando for one week. That is laughable. My research has also found that the reports of 6" in the Orlando area are also false.

Wikipedia Snow Events in Florida

I agree with you, David.

The article really needs to be verified and cleaned up. The official data shows a 0.8" snowfall for 12/23 at Jacksonville, but no accumulations around Orlando (Orlando International Airport). Furthermore, with temperatures rebounding into the 60s by 12/26 and 70s by 12/28, even localized small accumulations around the Orlando area (mainly well to the north of the city) would not have persisted for a week.

#13 Isopycnic

AviationWX29 wants my

• Members
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

Yes.

#14 RU848789

• Members
  • 944 posts
  • Location:Metuchen, NJ (Northern Middlesex County; 2 miles WNW of NJTPK Exit 10)

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Now I'm curious - anyone know the largest snowfall in recorded Florida history? Has anywhere in the state ever gotten more than an inch or two? I only ever recall flurries and dustings.

#15 bubbler86

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

View PostRU848789, on 12 January 2010 - 09:05 AM, said:

Now I'm curious - anyone know the largest snowfall in recorded Florida history? Has anywhere in the state ever gotten more than an inch or two? I only ever recall flurries and dustings.

I am pretty sure Tallahassee got 2.8" from one storm in 1958 and I am assuming several areas of Florida recorded 2" or more during the Blizzard of 1899. Don R. probably has exect records. Jacksonville received ~ 2" in some spots on December 23, 1989, though as Don mentioned above, official data suggests it was closer to an inch, giving them a White Christmas.

#16 bubbler86

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

Another piece of info. Not going to vouch for any validity beyond giving the link. Says the largest snowfall in Fla history is 5"

http://www.cfnews13....hine_state.html

According to weather records, the state record for snowfall is 5 inches, set along the St. Mary’s River, north of Jacksonville, on Jan. 11, 1800.

Nearly a century later, on Feb. 13, 1899, an overnight rain turned to sleet, then snow. Depths of more than 1.9 inches were recorded, with temperatures falling to 10 degrees.

The coldest temperature on record for Florida occurred that morning, when the mercury dropped to 2 degrees below zero in Tallahassee.

One of the state’s biggest storms came Jan. 17, 1977. More than 2 inches were reported in Lakeland and Plant City. Over an inch was reported in the Orlando area. The snow also reached Miami, the first recorded snowfall in that city.

It also tied a record in Orlando of six consecutive nights well below freezing -- but the snow didn’t last long. It melted the following day.

One of the most dangerous storms came on Dec. 23, 1989. Rain in Jacksonville turned to freezing rain, then to snow, totalling several inches in some locations. It was the first white Christmas in the city’s history.

#17 yhbrooklyn

BOARD BROWNIE!

• Banned
  • 42,127 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

I'm pretty sure I read that there were blizzard conditions in the panhandle in 1899.

#18 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

View Postturtlehurricane, on 30 December 2009 - 02:21 AM, said:

Or apparently within 20 days :lmao:

#19 Fozz

• Members
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

If Victoria, TX can get a foot of snow, why can't Florida?

#20 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

View PostFozz, on 12 January 2010 - 09:50 AM, said:

If Victoria, TX can get a foot of snow, why can't Florida?

Florida being surrounded by water makes a huge difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users