Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Why is the east coast colder than the west?? - Eastern US Weather Forums

Why is the east coast colder than the west??

17 replies to this topic

#1 daveslaine2770

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

This is true every year folks.

Anyway, the west coast has consistent cooler temperatures in summer while the east coast is very warm in the summer, but in the winter, the east coast is very different near the coast, and away from the coast, and in mountains, and in valleys. Why is the east coast so much cooler in winter than the west?

here is an example of San francisco Ca, and Virginia Beach VA in summer and winter

its basically the same latitude. 37*N and same elevation

Virginia Beach Summer www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNTU/2009/7/3/MonthlyHistory.html

You can see the average temperature is 76 and avg high of 84

San francisco summer www.wunderground.com...

You can see the difference in the temperatures 61 avg and 65 high avg.. WTF??

and check out the winters

Virginia beach winter www.wunderground.com...

avg 38 and avg high 46.. and minimum minimum is 16 and it snows on the coast

san francisco winter www.wunderground.com...

avg 52 and high avg 59. with minimum minimum being 33..

i live in san jose near sf and i wanted to know why the weather in all of the west coast sucks ass.. crap winters and crap summers

#2 NorEaster27

Trochoidal Wobbles

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

:axe: Look whats west of San Fran and whats west of any city on the east coast.

#3 ShoreWXgal

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

http://www.abovetops...hread487883/pg1

:rolleyes:

#4 MallowTheCloud

Here today, rubbing Lisa.

• Meteorologist
  • 23,136 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

ShoreWXgal, on Aug 4 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

:lmao:

#5 CT Blizz

La la la la la la Lock It Up

• Members
  • 43,026 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

#6 kush

i can't post here anymore because martin is scurred

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

ShoreWXgal, on Aug 4 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

zomg shorewxgal posting links to abovetopsecret.com

just when i thought i couldn't love you any more.

#7 LetItSnowInPhilly

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

"Experts please read and answer simply and correctly. Thanks"

:lmao:

#8 ShoreWXgal

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

kush, on Aug 4 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

zomg shorewxgal posting links to abovetopsecret.com

just when i thought i couldn't love you any more.

:lmao: I just googled his thread title and that popped up...The post just appeared to be a cut and paste job.

#9 kush

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

ShoreWXgal, on Aug 4 2009, 08:09 PM, said:

:lmao: I just googled his thread title and that popped up...The post just appeared to be a cut and paste job.

ok then...nvm

abovetopsecret.com is some good stuff.

#10 daveslaine2770

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Man Im not a meteorologist now can some explain in a simple sentence?

#11 kush

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

daveslaine2770, on Aug 4 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

Man Im not a meteorologist now can some explain in a simple sentence?

how about two words:

pacific ocean.

#12 daveslaine2770

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

kush, on Aug 4 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

how about two words:

pacific ocean.

whats the difference between the pacific and atlantic..

please no smart ass remarks, i dont really know much..

#13 LocoAko

Proud member of the Northeast Liberal Elite.

• Members
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

daveslaine2770, on Aug 4 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

whats the difference between the pacific and atlantic..

please no smart ass remarks, i dont really know much..

Look.

Ocean waters are warmer in the winter than land temperatures since water responds much more slowly to temperature changes (and has leftover heat from summer). When the wind is moving from the water to the land, it carries warm marine air into the cities. That's why coastal locations often change over to rain earlier than inland areas - warm marine air.

On the west coast, the wind comes in off the ocean and brings in warm marine air in the cities. On the East Coast, you often have cold, dry airmasses coming out of Canada from the Northwest or West, keeping things cold and dry.

#14 daveslaine2770

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

so would you guys prefer to live in the east or the west coast?

#15 WX1996

let's keep this off the record

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Prevailing westerly winds bring the pacific air over the West Coast. In the winter, ocean air is milder than the air over land.
So to recap, the West Coast is milder than the East Coast because of the west wind from the Pacific Ocean. By the time the west wind reaches the East Coast it modifies and becomes cooler. My two cents.

daveslaine2770, on Aug 4 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

so would you guys prefer to live in the east or the west coast?

Neither, I would prefer to live in the Plains because of the extremes. There you may find the tropical airmass from the Gulf, the dry air from the Southwest, the mountain air from the Rockies (chinook winds) , the pacific air from your friends out West, and the cold air from Canada. With the right ingredients one would see the best severe weather this planet can offer!

#16 rich n

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Actually, the only time I find the east coast cooler is during the early spring months, when the water temps are still very cool. Overall, the east coast is generally warmer than the west coast because of the effects of the Gulf Stream/Alaskan Current.

In fact, while interior New England starts to experience snow fall sometime in October (especially north), Boston, Cape Cod and other coastal areas usually won't see snow fall until at least December and sometimes not until after New Years. Three years ago, I was fishing in the first week of Oct in a t-shirt down at Falmouth on Cape Cod, then observed snow the following day when we took a day trip north of Concord, NH to see the foliage.

Being an 'implant' to New England, one thing I'm still having a hard time getting used to is the fact that March is basically just another Winter month - April is more so the 'comes in like a lion and out like a lamb' month. :rolleyes:

#17 ice1972

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

It's all about air mass dude......general flow around the globe at our latitude is west to east mainly focused on the polar front which dips and dives in the form of troughs and ridges all year giving us all the variety of weather we see......just because two cities are at the same latitude does not mean they should have the same weather......Pacific air flowing in over San Francisco keeps the climate there well insulated where the temperature rarely gets below 40 or over 75......it is also a source of moisture and yields the famous fog San Francisco is known for......the interior US is much more susceptible to continental air masses spilling down out of Canada in a trough with much colder temperatures.......

#18 famartin

Lost in the desert

• Banned
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Westerlies.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users