Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
The Weather Channel Layoffs/Firings - Eastern US Weather Forums

The Weather Channel Layoffs/Firings

258 replies to this topic

#1 W-B Weather

• Meteorologist
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

The business of television is going down the tubes quickly. I thank my lucky stars each day I come in and still have a job right now.

Didn't see if anyone mentioned this but it looks like NBC's slashing continues at TWC.

Below is from NewsBlues Wednesday....
"NBC-Universal's The Weather Channel axed four veteran on-camera meteorologists late Monday afternoon. Mark Mancuso, Rich Johnson, Kristina Abernathy, and Kristin Dodd were notified shortly after 4 p.m. that they were out, effective immediately."

#2 winterwarlock

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

I thought I just saw Abernathy and Johnson on there last night. Geez they want to get rid of all the old guard.

I do like Alexandra Steele though anyday over Stephanie Abrams

#3 Nickysixes

Frigidaire Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

View PostW-B Weather, on Feb 3 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

The business of television is going down the tubes quickly. I thank my lucky stars each day I come in and still have a job right now.

Didn't see if anyone mentioned this but it looks like NBC's slashing continues at TWC.

Below is from NewsBlues today....
"Another tipster reports that NBC's The Weather Channel axed veteran meteorologists Mark Mancuso, Rich Johnson, Kristina Abernathy, and Kristin Dodd late yesterday afternoon. All four bios have been removed from the TWC website, never a good sign."

Kristin & Christina, thank GOD! But 2 guys who actually knew something about weather? That sux :thumbsdown:

#4 Richmondsnow

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

Y are they firing the vets. Thats so weak

#5 Richmondsnow

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

who else got fired from the weather channel besides these 4

#6 DJnVa

• Members
  • 228 posts

View PostW-B Weather, on Feb 3 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

"Another tipster reports that NBC's The Weather Channel axed veteran meteorologists Mark Mancuso, Rich Johnson, Kristina Abernathy, and Kristin Dodd late yesterday afternoon. All four bios have been removed from the TWC website, never a good sign."

Ehh?

http://www.weather.c...istin-Dodd.html

EDIT: Ahh, it's not on the page that lists all of them....got it.

#7 Storm-Surge

• Members
  • 241 posts

View Postwinterwarlock, on Feb 3 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

I thought I just saw Abernathy and Johnson on there last night. Geez they want to get rid of all the old guard.

I do like Alexandra Steele though anyday over Stephanie Abrams

Amen!

#8 W-B Weather

• Meteorologist
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

View PostRichmondsnow, on Feb 3 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

Y are they firing the vets. Thats so weak

Money. Vets make more money. For those of you who live in bigger media markets, notice older veteran people are slowly being replaced with younger and younger people on your local news stations. It's all about the bottom line. Younger = cheaper.

#9 Kbosch

WX + Birds

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

That's absurd. While I have not watched TWC for years, this is the kind of thinking that drove me away in the first place. Firing the four of them will save some money, yes, but unless I'm sorely mistaken, it's not like they were making $1M a year, right? No one is going to like seeing some of the few remnants of what used to be a decent source for weather information being kicked out the back door.

I heard they were just on last night, too. Awful.

#10 Diego

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

I had nothing against Kristina and Kristin, but in Nov., Dave Schwartz, and now Mark Mancuso and Rich Johnson? TWC management is crazy, if not on a financial suicide mission. Mancuso and Johnson, were great meteorologists and will be sorely missed. Penny wise, but pound foolish.

#11 liweatherdude

Andrew

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

Disgrace. I do recall Abernathy had a nice umm..figure back in her early days, like sharon resultan :)

#12 A-L-E-X

• Members
  • 30,917 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

View PostDiego, on Feb 3 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

I had nothing against Kristina and Kristin, but in Nov., Dave Schwartz, and now Mark Mancuso and Rich Johnson? TWC management is crazy, if not on a financial suicide mission. Mancuso and Johnson, were great meteorologists and will be sorely missed. Penny wise, but pound foolish.

I hope the whole channel gets canceled. As horrid as it is, id take accuweather over them anyday.

#13 Mdecoy

• Members
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Haven't watched in YEARS. But it is just getting worse and worse for them. Who is left there that is someone around from the 90's?

Rich Johnson was the very first MET I saw on TWC in 1991. I am sad that he is going.

I wonder if they are getting rid of the veterans cause their salaries might be higher?

I bet the day soon comes when they get rid of Jim Cantore.

#14 paul e

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Jeez.. what next. Cantori? really sucks

#15 smokeater342

RIP Uncle Richard, I'll never forget you.

• Members
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

View PostMdecoy, on Feb 3 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

Haven't watched in YEARS. But it is just getting worse and worse for them. Who is left there that is someone around from the 90's?

Rich Johnson was the very first MET I saw on TWC in 1991. I am sad that he is going.

I wonder if they are getting rid of the veterans cause their salaries might be higher?

I bet the day soon comes when they get rid of Jim Cantore.

The day they get rid of Cantore, is the day i stop watching for GOOD. I mean cuts are expected in this recession, but it's still sad to see all the people i grew up watching on TWC go by the wayside.

#16 Kbosch

WX + Birds

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

View Postliweatherdude, on Feb 3 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

Disgrace. I do recall Abernathy had a nice umm..figure back in her early days, like sharon resultan :)

Oh yes, good times. :thumbsup:

Out with the old in with the new, huh?

#17 Mdecoy

• Members
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

View PostA-L-E-X, on Feb 3 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

I hope the whole channel gets canceled. As horrid as it is, id take accuweather over them anyday.

I hope so too.

Honestly, I am not sure how they stay afloat.

Granted, people wanted a less intelligent version of the weather, but every time you turn it on they got storm bories or some other nonsense on.

Do people actually watch that?

#18 Diego

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Maybe broadcast mets need to become unionized.

#19 capecod04

• Members
  • 34,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

Oh yeah, let's fire Sharon Resultan and Kristen Dodd and keep Eboni Dion?? Give me a break.

#20 HurricaneJosh

Unapologetic Tight Core Snob

• Members
  • 49,722 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Wow-- too bad. I always really liked Rich Johnson-- thought he had a smooth, friendly on-camera style while also seeming qualified and knowledgeable Re: the technical aspects. Bummer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users