Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Thanksgiving Day 1971 - Eastern US Weather Forums

Thanksgiving Day 1971

7 replies to this topic

#1 MonsoonMike

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Meteorologist Noreen Clark on Scranton, PA's WNEP-TV this morning looked back at Thanksgiving Day 1971 where areas like Hazleton, PA and Wilkes Barre/Scranton got hammered with over 20 inches of snow.

This was a few years before my time, but I'm curious about that storm. Was it good down in the Philly area too or was it just a NE PA jackpot? Anyone have any info on it?

#2 Huffwx

According to the state of NY, you are the

• Members
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

View PostMonsoonMike, on Nov 23 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

Meteorologist Noreen Clark on Scranton, PA's WNEP-TV this morning looked back at Thanksgiving Day 1971 where areas like Hazleton, PA and Wilkes Barre/Scranton got hammered with over 20 inches of snow.

This was a few years before my time, but I'm curious about that storm. Was it good down in the Philly area too or was it just a NE PA jackpot? Anyone have any info on it?

Will made a post about it a few weeks back. ( ORHWxman)

Cool event..rain events big cities. Went negative tilt quickly so snows went back to the Mts of NC and VA..actually 6 inches here at my house in VA.

#3 Cool Spruce

• Members
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:35 AM

Decent for the western burbs of DC, like Reston and Herndon. Closer in, I think he snow went to rain rather quickly. There was a changeover in Reston, but it still left us with several inches (3-5) on ground. Every few miles west brought the amounts up rapidly, as did every small rise in the highways west. Near the foot of the Blue Ridge it was nearer a foot. Over the other side, in Winchester, more like 20" I think.

#4 WeatherMan2000

• New Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

View PostMonsoonMike, on Nov 22 2007, 10:20 PM, said:

Philly received 1.12 inches of rain and only a trace of snow Thanksgiving Day Nov. 25, 1971

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/TrentonC...logy/197111.htm

#5 ntheo17

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:32 AM

We were living about half way between Philadelphia and Allentown in Montgomery County. We had a couple of inches of wet snow that turned into heavy rain.

#6 NJ_Ken

• Members
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

It looks like PHL got a trace with a LOT of cold rain.

#7 CNY_WX

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

This is from the NWS Albany web site. I was living in Little Falls, NY about 75 miles west of Albany on the Thruway at the time and as I remember we got a little over a foot of snow from that storm.

Thanksgiving Snowstorm of 1971 (November 24-25, 1971)

Heavy snow began on the day before Thanksgiving and continued into Thanksgiving day. Albany picked up 22.5", the greatest November snowfall on record, with amounts up to 30" reported elsewhere. This storm turned the busiest travel day of the year into a nightmare, with many stranded travelers not making it to their destinations on Thanksgiving.

#8 Huffwx

According to the state of NY, you are the

• Members
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

Hmm, so LYH was likely snow to rain and not vice versa.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users