Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Wral-TV 5 Dual Doppler 5000 - Eastern US Weather Forums

Wral-TV 5 Dual Doppler 5000

39 replies to this topic

#1 Isopycnic

AviationWX29 wants my

• Members
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

Wral in Raleigh has installed their new Dual Doppler. Click on "How It Works" to listen to Greg Fischel discuss the radar. Pretty near.

http://www.wral.com/.../flash/1797230/

#2 twcmaster

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

I am no radar expert, but it appears this "Doppler 5000" pales in comparison to WCBS's Doppler 2,000,000 and only slightly better than WNBC's Doppler 4000.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#3 NCSUWX23

• Meteorologist
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

View Posttwcmaster, on Sep 13 2007, 06:49 PM, said:

I am no radar expert, but it appears this "Doppler 5000" pales in comparison to WCBS's Doppler 2,000,000 and only slightly better than WNBC's Doppler 4000.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I disagree.

There are only 5 Dual Doppler Radars in use in the country being used on TV. Online the graphics are not that best but the technology in the new radar is top of the line.

#4 Isopycnic

AviationWX29 wants my

• Members
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

View PostNCSUWX23, on Sep 13 2007, 08:14 PM, said:

I disagree.

There are only 5 Dual Doppler Radars in use in the country being used on TV. Online the graphics are not that best but the technology in the new radar is top of the line.

I asked Greg before if he could provide the data online but alas he said not.. i bet the policy is the same for the new radar...

#5 NCSUWX23

• Meteorologist
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

View PostIsopycnic, on Sep 13 2007, 07:19 PM, said:

I asked Greg before if he could provide the data online but alas he said not.. i bet the policy is the same for the new radar...

I do not think they will do something like that only because they would probably have to make us pay to view it.

#6 Isopycnic

AviationWX29 wants my

• Members
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

View PostNCSUWX23, on Sep 13 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

I do not think they will do something like that only because they would probably have to make us pay to view it.

I would pay for it.

#7 NCSUWX23

• Meteorologist
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

View PostIsopycnic, on Sep 13 2007, 07:42 PM, said:

I would pay for it.

I am right there with you on that one.

I do however really like the way Greg Fishel handles something like this. You can tell the TV station is using it to hype up the fact that they are using top of the line technology, but Greg quickly goes into teaching what it will be used for and why it is going to so helpful in the future when a severe weather event is occurring.

#8 Isopycnic

AviationWX29 wants my

• Members
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

View PostNCSUWX23, on Sep 13 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

I am right there with you on that one.

I do however really like the way Greg Fishel handles something like this. You can tell the TV station is using it to hype up the fact that they are using top of the line technology, but Greg quickly goes into teaching what it will be used for and why it is going to so helpful in the future when a severe weather event is occurring.

That is why i like Greg's forcasting. He does the same thing and has to stop himself from getting too technical sometimes. He shouls do a "weather geek" show on one of the WRAl digital channels.

#9 NCSUWX23

• Meteorologist
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

View PostIsopycnic, on Sep 13 2007, 07:48 PM, said:

That is why i like Greg's forcasting. He does the same thing and has to stop himself from getting too technical sometimes. He shouls do a "weather geek" show on one of the WRAl digital channels.

I actually like his technicality. It seems to me that a lot of the public has no idea what really is going on with the weather. He also has this calming presence about him when severe weather strikes. Accu-weather should learn from him.

#10 blueheronNC

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

View PostIsopycnic, on Sep 13 2007, 08:48 PM, said:

This is a great idea - perhaps something we should suggest to him. Before his 11 p.m. newscast, perhaps he could record a 15-minute "AM Weather" type (remember that show) weather geek presentation where he feels free to speak in as technical language as he wants. they could air it at 11:30 p.m. or something on a digital channel, and/or make it available on the web. he could go more in detail regarding his MM5/Weatherscope model, and basically give a stand-up on-air version (and probably a more accurate version) of the NWS's AFD product.

#11 Dan

A member of the Titan Nation

• Members
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

View PostNCSUWX23, on Sep 13 2007, 08:58 PM, said:

Accu-weather should learn from him.

Funny you say that because didn't he work for Accu-Weather back before he came to Raleigh?

#12 JQPublic

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

He came here in 1981, and probably worked at Accu-weather b/c it was started by a Penn State grad and later faculty member. Greg went to Penn State. Probably an unbelievable opportunity at the time to work there. Accu-weather or not he was the first Certified Broadcast Met in the country and WRAL is always ahead of the curve...they were the first "local" news station in the United States to broadcast newscasts entirely in HD.

#13 Solak

• Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

Greg Fishel
Contact Related LinksAsk the Meteorologists
WRAL WeatherCenter
Chief Meteorologist

Professional Experience:
1981 to present: meteorologist, WRAL-TV; 1980 to 1981: meteorologist, WMDT-TV, Salisbury, Md.; 1979 to 1980: meteorologist, Mesomet, Chicago, Ill.

Awards & Recognition:
1985 American Meteorological Society award for broadcast excellence for reporting a March 1984 tornado; American Meteorological Society Seal of Approval for television and radio; member of broadcast board of the American Meteorological Society; chairperson of AMS Broadcast Board Committee to develop 100-question exam for new Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Program; member of Advisory Commissions for North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and the state Climate Office of North Carolina; first certified broadcast meteorologist in the United States; recipient of Emmy from Midsouth Region of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for hurricane special in 2000; one of six recipients of Special Award from American Meteorological Society in 2006

News Philosophy:
Content is more important than entertainment

#14 Dan

A member of the Titan Nation

• Members
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

View PostJQPublic, on Sep 13 2007, 09:09 PM, said:

He came here in 1981, and probably worked at Accu-weather b/c it was started by a Penn State grad and later faculty member. Greg went to Penn State. Probably an unbelievable opportunity at the time to work there. Accu-weather or not he was the first Certified Broadcast Met in the country and WRAL is always ahead of the curve...they were the first "local" news station in the United States to broadcast newscasts entirely in HD.

I got some family down in the Raleigh market and in the past I was able to get WRAL on directv and I would agree 100 percent. "Fisch" as most people call him down in Raleigh is by far the best TV Met in North Carolina and one of the top in the country.

#15 summer1

• Banned
  • 914 posts

Well he said today everyone in the triangle will get rain friday and friday night. Hope the dude is on point today.

#16 AtticaFanatica

• Meteorologist
  • 4,063 posts

A few thoughts:

The name is very misleading. Dual-Doppler is an analysis technique in which two radars are used to obtain the horizontal wind field, and sometimes the vertical wind field as well. This is a dual-Pol radar, which it says very clearly when you read up on it, but the name itself is confusing.

Also, Dual-Pol radars don't split the EM beam persay, they simply alternate between sending out horizontally and vertically polarized waves. I think pehaps they meant the beam is "split up" between horizontal and vertical as opposed to have an EM beam actually being split.

Anyway, I'm guessing this is going to be become more and more popular in the future. The advantages of dual-Pol radar are enormous and most of what they claim is true, though with a bit less certainty than advertised, but that's to be expected. It is nice to see that Mr. Fishel seems to have an excellent grasp on how this technology works.

#17 JQPublic

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

View PostDan, on Sep 13 2007, 09:19 PM, said:

I got some family down in the Raleigh market and in the past I was able to get WRAL on directv and I would agree 100 percent. "Fisch" as most people call him down in Raleigh is by far the best TV Met in North Carolina and one of the top in the country.

Yeah being born and raised in Raleigh he is probably the main or one of the main reasons I have such a great interest in weather!

#18 Solak

• Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

It will be interesting to see how it's different from a viewer's perspective, via both the TV graphics and the upgraded website. Of course, those of us in the Raleigh viewing area need some sort of precipitation, first, to distinguish what might be different. :)

#19 blueheronNC

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

View PostSolak, on Sep 13 2007, 09:30 PM, said:

It will be interesting to see how it's different from a viewer's perspective, via both the TV graphics and the upgraded website. Of course, those of us in the Raleigh viewing area need some sort of precipitation, first, to distinguish what might be different. :)

It'll be interesting to see how good the dual-pol is at depicting rain/sleet/snow lines during the winter, especially as the CAD erodes.

#20 UpslopeSnowfall

Oh, but something's always wrong...

• Members
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

Nice. Very nice, indeed!

Here's to hoping my Tarheel friends get to see the radar tested by a whack-o spring storm...rain, hail, sleet, wet snow, and dry snow! Hehe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users