Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 486

Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/conf_global.php:1) in /home3/eastern/public_html/bb/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
average annual snowfall for northeast? - Eastern US Weather Forums

average annual snowfall for northeast?

27 replies to this topic

#1 ma blizzard

9 mi ese of Orh

• Members
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

I'm just wondering becuase i have searched on google several times an havent come up with anything that great.

#2 HK Gullywhomper

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

View Postma blizzard, on Sep 23 2006, 12:15 PM, said:

I'm just wondering becuase i have searched on google several times an havent come up with anything that great.

I've seen a very detailed map that looks at avg snowfall within 20 miles or so of the Appalachian Trail, but that's about it.

#3 powderfreak

• Members
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

I can get you a precip map for VT but I dont even think I've seen a snowfall map of VT. Very drastic from elevation to elevation...would be cool to see a high-res version of average snowfall in all the topography/local snowfall maxs and mins.

#4 Logan11

• Members
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:08 PM

The App Trail map is incredibly detailed as I recall. I wish I could find something like that for eastern NY. I'm not sure what data source they used to make that map.

I'm curious about what the average snowfall is out here where I am versus KALB, but numerous netsearches haven't yielded much. BGM has a nice snowfall page integrating their co-op observers, but that doesn't extend beyond Otsego/Delaware Counties.

View Postpowderfreak, on Sep 23 2006, 05:16 PM, said:

I can get you a precip map for VT but I dont even think I've seen a snowfall map of VT. Very drastic from elevation to elevation...would be cool to see a high-res version of average snowfall in all the topography/local snowfall maxs and mins.

#5 MerquryMan

at the mercy of 9.8m/s^2

• Members
  • 23,485 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

Closest I came. I'm still looking for a legend for this map

Posted Image

originating website: http://www.climatesource.com/us/fact_sheet...nowfall_us.html

#6 Logan11

• Members
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

As an aside to this.... When I was going to SUNY Albany I found bound volumes of NY's nws co-op observer books with historic data on daily snowfall and daily snowcover at the various locations. They were a lot of fun to look at. This was circa late 80/early 90s and maybe that stuff is computerized now.

This

View PostLogan11, on Sep 23 2006, 09:08 PM, said:

The App Trail map is incredibly detailed as I recall. I wish I could find something like that for eastern NY. I'm not sure what data source they used to make that map.

I'm curious about what the average snowfall is out here where I am versus KALB, but numerous netsearches haven't yielded much. BGM has a nice snowfall page integrating their co-op observers, but that doesn't extend beyond Otsego/Delaware Counties.

#7 dendrite

• Banned
  • 36,305 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 dendrite

• Banned
  • 36,305 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

This is a really cool site.

http://gis.ncdc.noaa...atls/index.html

#9 ma blizzard

9 mi ese of Orh

• Members
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

:) sweet, thanks guys..

#10 ma blizzard

9 mi ese of Orh

• Members
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

jw, if anyone knows what the colors on the map in mm are? I have no idea what they stand for lol.

#11 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

View Postdendrite, on Sep 23 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

This is a really cool site.

http://gis.ncdc.noaa...atls/index.html

That is a really cool site! Thanks :)

#12 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

I just realized, I almost have the highest minimum temperatures in the country. :lol:

#13 Harry

• Members
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

View Postdendrite, on Sep 23 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats one of the better ones i have seen. The other one posted before is the best one. It use to show the numbers. I have the site somewhere around i'll see if i can find it.

#14 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

Attached File  snow.jpg (129.01K)
Number of downloads: 44

#15 Heidi the Horrible

• Meteorologist
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

View PostHK Gullywhomper, on Sep 23 2006, 02:53 PM, said:

I've seen a very detailed map that looks at avg snowfall within 20 miles or so of the Appalachian Trail, but that's about it.

That set of maps is awesome but the web link is dead now and I can't find it.

Some guy who is a hiking enthusiast not a met, made hand drawn annual snowfall maps of every inch of the App Trail.

It took him forever and he used a variety of data sources. The maps are very accurate.

Sopmebody must have a copy.

#16 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

View PostHeidi the Horrible, on Sep 23 2006, 11:03 PM, said:

That set of maps is awesome but the web link is dead now and I can't find it.

Some guy who is a hiking enthusiast not a met, made hand drawn annual snowfall maps of every inch of the App Trail.

It took him forever and he used a variety of data sources. The maps are very accurate.

Sopmebody must have a copy.

This is what I can find

http://www.aldha.org/snowfall.htm

Seems like he didnt want any reproduction of the maps, will make finding it very difficult.

#17 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

I just had a brainstorm, here is the image gallery

http://www.aldha.org/images/

might be in there, LOTS of images.

#18 turtlehurricane

• Members
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

View Postturtlehurricane, on Sep 23 2006, 11:09 PM, said:

I just had a brainstorm, here is the image gallery

http://www.aldha.org/images/

might be in there, LOTS of images.

This probably wont work. There are really no copies on the net. Its a shame for sure to lose those maps.

Only hope is if someone saved it to their hard drive.

#19 SeNJWx

• Members
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:51 AM

I was able to pull atleast "map24" from this page, the internet archive. Though the site is very unreliable... it'll report that it doesnt have the image, then when you try it 10 mins later it finds it, along with many "connection failures".

http://web.archive.org/web/20040111105507/...y.net/snowmaps/

If you play around long enough several maps could probably be found.

-At the bottom is also an e-mail for the guy, which somebody might be able to get in contact with him.

#20 coastalplainsnowman

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:14 AM

View Postturtlehurricane, on Sep 23 2006, 10:51 PM, said:

This is a great site that someone posted earlier in this thread (http://gis.ncdc.noaa...atls/index.html) but how are you guys getting the legend/key to show up? I don't see it as an option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users